From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Re: MongoMK^2 design proposal
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2013 13:45:06 GMT

On 6.2.13 13:29, Michael Marth wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>

> On Jan 29, 2013, at 12:43 PM, Michael Dürig wrote:
>
> Nice idea!! This puts clients into control over the trade off between
> consistency and availability by choosing the "right" journal to commit to.
>
> With "clients" you mean oak-core, right? Or would you leak this detail through to higher
levels?
> (I assume not, but the plural confused me)

Yes I meant oak-core.

I wouldn't want to directly "leak" this through. However, it leaves us
the possibility to expose a more general mechanism for choosing
consistency/availability from oak-core later on if we decide we
want/need this. One way of doing so would be through the branch/merge
mechanism of oak-core.

But as said, I wouldn't go there before we have a need for it and a
better understanding of how such a feature would interact with the
overall system. Having a mechanism for trading off consistency for
availability at the lowest layer seems a quite important thing to me
however.

Michael