From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Regarding NullLocation#getParent (was Re: svn commit: r1440930)
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2013 15:36:41 GMT

On 31.1.13 18:41, Angela Schreiber wrote:
> hi
>
> yes... that's correct, then getPath() should changed accordingly.
> and so does the API definition, which currently states that getPath
> would return null for non-existing items...
>
> i mean... the location has been accessed by specifying a path to
> the Root or another TreeLocation and it somehow feels a bit strange,
> that the location obtained would then return null, doesn't it?

Not really. If you fall of the tree you stay on the ground unless you
start climbing from the root again...

What you propose is a different semantics in its own right for
TreeLocation. That's why I'm reluctant with introducing it. It allows
you to do things like getNode("/some/non/existent/path/../../../..) to
get the root. While IMO this should not be possible, I just found out
that this is the way JR2 works.

I'll try the proposed changes and see where it leads to.

Michael