From Thomas Mueller <muel...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Conflict handling in Oak
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2012 15:34:32 GMT
Hi,

>>So, do "move" and "copy" operations need to be preserved, or can they be
>> converted to "add node" / "remove node"?
>
>Now we are getting somewhere: This is exactly the original topic of
>OAK-464. If the Microkernel converts moves to add/remove, implementing
>rebase on top of that results in moves of big sub trees to become *very*
>expensive.

As far as I know, in MongoDB, moves are implemented as "copy & delete", so
I don't think performance is a problem.

But I guess memory usage would be a problem if the whole subtree has to be
put in a Json document. MicroKernel.getJournal could lead to out of memory
for large move & copy operations, unless those operations are at least
somewhat preserved in the journal. As far as I understand, both
MicroKernel implementations do return move operations, so I guess it's not
a problem in practice(?)

Regards,
Thomas