From Marcel Reutegger <mreut...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: Conflict handling in Oak
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2012 08:37:13 GMT
Hi,

> To address 1) I suggest we define a set of clear cut cases where any
> Microkernel implementations MUST merge. For the other cases I'm not sure
> whether we should make them MUST NOT, SHOULD NOT or MAY merge.

I agree and I think three cases are sufficient. MUST, MUST NOT and MAY.
MUST is for conflicts we know are easy and straight forward to resolve.
MUST NOT is for conflicts that are known to be problematic because there's
no clean resolution strategy.
MAY is for conflicts that have a defined resolution but we think happen
rarely and is not worth implementing.

I don't see how SHOULD NOT is useful in this context.

regards
 marcel