From Marcel Reutegger <mreut...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: Oak & JCR versioning
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2012 11:18:12 GMT
> From: Jukka Zitting [mailto:jukka.zitting@gmail.com]
>
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Marcel Reutegger <mreutegg@adobe.com>
> wrote:
> > I guess in the end I can live with either approach, but right now prefer
> > 1). maybe the tie-breaker could be the question how we actually want to
> > expose the version storage through the Oak API and how we implement it.
>
> I think in either case the version storage should be exposed simply as
> the /jcr:system/jcr:versionStorage subtree.

see also the 'workspaces & version storage' thread. there I came to the
conclusion it's better to separate (at least from a read-only perspective).
 I think it makes future implementation of multiple workspaces easier.

> Anyway, how about we go with your option 1), but structure the code
> such that we keep the CommitHook that triggers versioning operations
> separate from a Validator that simply ensures the consistency of
> changes to the version store and all versionable nodes (and would
> therefore also act as an independent watchdog for potential bugs in
> the hook)? That way potential future deployments that want more
> freedom at the expense of more complicated versioning could achieve
> that simply by disabling the auto-versioning CommitHook.

sounds good to me. though, I initially didn't plan to implement a Validator
at all ;) the CommitHook should ensure that the modifications it does are
consistent. but yes, better safe than sorry...

regards
 marcel