From Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de>
Subject OT: normative language, was: Conflict handling in Oak
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2012 15:44:37 GMT
On 2012-12-18 15:12, Tommaso Teofili wrote:

> On 18/dic/2012, at 09:49, Felix Meschberger wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just remember that "MAY" is difficult to handle by developers: Can I depend on it
or not ? What if the "MAY" feature does not exist ? What if I develop on an implementation
providing the "MAY" feature and then running on an implementation not providing the "MAY"
feature ?

>> In essence, a "MAY" feature basically must be considered as non-existing :-(
>>
>> All in all, please don't use "MAY". Thanks from a developer ;-)
>
> I remember such a pain when dealing with browser compliance to HTTP spec some years ago,
SHOULD / MAY [NOT] were my enemies :-)

...in which case you should read the new spec(s) and provide feedback
before they get finalized :-) (->
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/wiki)

Best regards, Julian