From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Conflict handling in Oak
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2012 10:32:27 GMT

On 18.12.12 9:13, Marcel Reutegger wrote:
> hi,
>
>> Just remember that "MAY" is difficult to handle by developers: Can I depend
>> on it or not ?
>
> no, you can't.
>
>> What if the "MAY" feature does not exist?
>
> in this context it means, a commit will fail because of a conflict. for oak-jcr that
> will usually mean it throws an InvalidItemStateException.
>
>> What if I develop on
>> an implementation providing the "MAY" feature and then running on an
>> implementation not providing the "MAY" feature ?
>
> you will get a different behavior and will be advised to read the documentation ;)

It will make different Microkernel implementations less interchangeable
though. The differences in the observable effect between an
implementation which is able to merge a certain conflict compared to one
that isn't might be *very* subtle and might lead to errors which are
hard to foresee and diagnose. I think we are better of if we just
specify the merges which are MUST and make all others MUST NOT.

Michael