From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Conflict handling in Oak
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2012 15:46:21 GMT
Hi,

Currently the Microkernel contract does not specify a merge policy but
is free to try to merge conflicting changes or throw an exception. I
think this is problematic in various ways:

1) Automatic merging may violate the principal of least surprise. It can
be arbitrary complex and still be incorrect wrt. different use cases
which need different merge strategies for the same conflict.

2) Furthermore merges should be correctly mirrored in the journal.
According to the Microkernel API: "deleting a node is allowed if the
node existed in the given revision, even if it was deleted in the
meantime." So the following should currently not fail (it does though,
see OAK-507):

     String base = mk.getHeadRevision();
     String r1 = mk.commit("-a", base)
     String r2 = mk.commit("-a", base)

At this point retrieving the journal up to revision r2 should only
contain a single -a operation. I'm quite sure this is currently not the
case and the journal will contain two -a operations. One for revision r1
and another for revision r2.

3) Throwing an unspecific MicrokernelException leaves the API consumer
with no clue on what caused a commit to fail. Retrying a commit after
some client side conflict resolution becomes a hit and miss. See OAK-442.

To address 1) I suggest we define a set of clear cut cases where any
Microkernel implementations MUST merge. For the other cases I'm not sure
whether we should make them MUST NOT, SHOULD NOT or MAY merge.

To address 2) My preferred solution would be to drop getJournal entirely
from the Microkernel API. However, this means rebasing a branch would
need to go into the Microkernel (OAK-464). Otherwise every merge defined
for 1) would need to take care the journal is adjusted accordingly.
Another possibility here is to leave the journal unadjusted. However
then we need to specify MUST NOT for other merges in 1). Because only
then can clients of the journal know how to interpret the journal
(receptively the conflicts contained therein).

To address 3) I'd simply derive a more specific exception from
MicroKernelException and throw that in the case of a conflict. See OAK-496.

Michael