From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject [NEWS] Oak news (7th edition)
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2012 12:15:14 GMT
Hi,

Welcome to the 7th edition of the informal news on what's going on in Oak.

* There is an initial effort implementing JCR versioning. See the
discussion on different approaches and content structures at
http://markmail.org/message/k7bbvwvf25irn6jt. This discussion also
revived an older discussion on how we should handle JCR work spaces in
Oak. Expect more at http://markmail.org/message/bqwi2xiu3zg73kdg.

* The MongoDB based Microkernel implementation is now better integrated
with the normal build. The related components are included in the build
by default. Tests are run if a local MongoDB instance is available.
Otherwise they are simply skipped:
http://markmail.org/message/bczjttkj6edinwk3

* As a new, optional feature the Microkernel no supports to retrieve
items by identifier/hash. This has been introduced in order to avoid
extra traversals when items are needed whose parent has been retrieved
earlier already. See http://markmail.org/message/nnsyvzfhy2k26xvb for
the discussion and https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-468 for the
related issue.

* We started to run the Jackrabbit query tests on Oak. This gives us
much better test coverage and will help us identifying backward
compatibility issues. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-237.

* There was a discussion on whether Oak should support large multi
valued properties: http://markmail.org/message/ak7g3mq37kj6hxyw. While
there is nothing in Oak itself which would prevent us from doing so, JCR
does not have a way to access individual elements of a multi valued
property. From this most concluded that it is not necessary to support
such a feature for the time being.

* The discussion about larger multi valued property also sparked a
discussion on whether we could support hash maps as properties. This
would simplify matters for scripting languages. However, the most common
view on this was that JCR already supports this by means of the
properties of a node.

* While prototyping a way to retry a failed commit, we ran into the
deeper issue of move operations not being correctly detected by the way
node states are currently being diffed. While this has been discussed at
length earlier, the discussion gained new momentum. See
http://markmail.org/message/lbc3rx2p3sssvqj5 for the discussion and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-464 for the main issue and a
summary of possible ways to tackle this.

* The MemoryNodeBuilder, which is at the core of tracking state changes
to the content tree, has been refactored to make the code easier to
follow. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-452.

* There is an ongoing effort to get repository initialisation right. The
main problem here is its interaction with the commit hooks. While during
initialisation some hooks might already be needed, others might be in
the way. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-410.

Michael