From Tommaso Teofili <teof...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Conflict handling in Oak
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2012 14:12:33 GMT

On 18/dic/2012, at 09:49, Felix Meschberger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just remember that "MAY" is difficult to handle by developers: Can I depend on it or
not ? What if the "MAY" feature does not exist ? What if I develop on an implementation providing
the "MAY" feature and then running on an implementation not providing the "MAY" feature ?

> In essence, a "MAY" feature basically must be considered as non-existing :-(
>
> All in all, please don't use "MAY". Thanks from a developer ;-)

I remember such a pain when dealing with browser compliance to HTTP spec some years ago, SHOULD
/ MAY [NOT] were my enemies :-)
Apart from that, I agree with MichaelM (with the exception that I'd keep MAY out using either
MUST or MUST NOT, with a slight preference on MUST).
My 0.02 cents,

Tommaso