From Lukas Kahwe Smith <...@pooteeweet.org>
Subject Re: hash maps was Re: Support for long multivalued properties
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2012 12:24:05 GMT

On Nov 16, 2012, at 13:18 , Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Lukas Kahwe Smith <mls@pooteeweet.org> wrote:
>> which is the reason why it would be great to add hash maps to JCR. storing hash maps
>> as nodes with a single property is simple not efficient with an interpreted language
>> where there is native support for hash maps and where one doesnt have an application
>> server to cache the node instances in memory across requests.
>
> That sounds more like a performance issue to be addressed in the
> language binding or the remoting implementation rather than a
> conceptual API design issue.

I fail to see how it makes sense to use nodes for this. Not only for the above stated reasons
but also in terms of querying. Again if this is the opinion, then there is no reason to ever
support multi valued properties to begin with.

I feel the arguments brought forth are very Java centric, which is fine since this is a Java
project. But if the target audience is to also include interpreted languages, then this Java
centric POV is going in the opposite direction.

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
mls@pooteeweet.org