From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: hash maps was Re: Support for long multivalued properties
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2012 12:51:43 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Lukas Kahwe Smith <mls@pooteeweet.org> wrote:
> I fail to see how it makes sense to use nodes for this. Not only for the above stated
> reasons but also in terms of querying.

Oak supports pluggable indexing, so it's straightforward to index
content in child nodes as part of the parent node. That should make it
efficient to query such data structures.

> I feel the arguments brought forth are very Java centric, which is fine since this is
> Java project. But if the target audience is to also include interpreted languages, then
> this Java centric POV is going in the opposite direction.

The only Java-angle I see here is the remote vs. local use case where
our current remoting mechanisms require the content of child nodes to
be fetched over a separate remote request from that of the parent
node. That's certainly an area that could/should be improved
regardless of the language platform being used.

In fact this is one of the key reasons why also in pure Java
environments the current Jackrabbit deployment models are somewhat
limited in terms of how many tiers you can use, and solving the issue
with Oak would be really useful.

Looking at this in another way, the way the MicroKernel represents
nodes is simply as JSON objects, so a structure like { "position": {
"x": 123, "y", 456 } } is stored simply as a node with a "position"
child node containing the two properties "x" and "y". I don't see how
a "map property" could or should work any differently.

BR,

Jukka Zitting