From Jörg Hoh <jhoh...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] JCR on a file system
Date Fri, 23 Nov 2012 09:49:33 GMT
Hi Alex,

2012/11/22 Alexander Klimetschek <aklimets@adobe.com>

> Why does Jackrabbit/Oak not map JCR hierarchies directly to the filesystem?

I worked with the proprietary content "repository" of Day's Communique 3
(the contentbus), which stored pages directly on the filesystem. Besides
the things Jukka pointed out I would like to add:

* ACLs: I think it's very hard to map the JCR ACL semantic to filesystem
ACLs (I don't want to discuss here the differences between Windows and *nix
systems regarding access rights, ACLs, RBAC and so on ... true
multiplattform is then a real real hard job). Besides this fact, I don't
think it's a good idea of reuse the user management of your OS and map
system users to JCR users. So in any case you have to do the ACL and
usermanagement stuff on a repository level yourself.
* Dealing with millions or even billions of small files is still a hard job
for a file system, although they improved a lot in the last 10 years.
* Operation people will complain if you need to store these millions of
files on their backup systems, because they need to keep track of every
single file.

So from a operational point of view there are a lot of arguments against a
"every node is file" approach.

--
Cheers,
Jörg Hoh,