From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [MongoMK] BlobStore garbage collection
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2012 09:24:23 GMT
On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Mete Atamel <matamel@adobe.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 11/6/12 9:24 AM, "Thomas Mueller" <mueller@adobe.com> wrote:
>
>>Yes. Somebody has to decide which revisions are no longer needed. Luckily
>>it doesn't need to be us :-) We might set a default value (10 minutes or
>>so), and then give the user the ability to change that, depending on
>>whether he cares more about disk space or the ability to read old data /
>>roll back to an old state.
>
> If we go down this path for node GC, doesn't MicroKernel interface have to
> change to account for this? Where would you change this default 10 minutes
> value as far as MicroKernel is concerned?

there's a jira issue [0]. so far we've not been able to resolve this issue.

there's no single 'right' retention policy as different use cases
imply different
strategies.

personally i tend to not specify a retention policy on the API level
but rather leave it implementation specific (configurable).

cheers
stefan

[0[ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-114