From Lukas Kahwe Smith <...@pooteeweet.org>
Subject Re: Support for long multivalued properties
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2012 15:30:28 GMT

On Nov 15, 2012, at 15:50 , Felix Meschberger <fmeschbe@adobe.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 15.11.2012 um 14:06 schrieb Lukas Kahwe Smith:
>

>> On Nov 15, 2012, at 14:02 , Thomas Mueller <mueller@adobe.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> Sounds interesting.. could you give more details please?
>>

>> well right now you can only store "ordered lists".
>> especially in PHP its common to use associative arrays
>>
>> $var = array(
>> 'foo' => 'bar',
>> 'ding' => 'dong',
>> )
>
> Hm, this looks more like node "var" with properties "foo" set to "bar" and "ding" set
to "dong" to me.

not really .. the same could be said about any multi valued property otherwise :)
i guess hash maps are not a common pattern in Java, but they are quite common in scripting
languages.

also for scripting languages it generally makes little sense to "blow up" a simple structure
into lots of subnodes for performance reasons.

at any rate in our data mapper we currently support this splitting hash maps into 2 multi
valued properties and we are making quite a lot of use of this. f.e. we use this to store
a list of named options.

TYPO3, who created a JCR inspired content repository, also named the lack of hash maps as
a reason why they in the ended diverged.

it was my understanding that Oak tries to become more viable for remote access from other
languages, in that case it would make sense to look into this. at any rate .. i didnt mean
to high jack this thread. so if there is interest to discuss this further it would be best
to open a new thread.

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
mls@pooteeweet.org