From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Re: MicroKernel add/set property
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2012 15:03:37 GMT

On 17.10.12 15:49, Stefan Guggisberg wrote:
> i agree that the ambiguity of '^' vs '+' is confusing. personally i'd prefer
> to get rid of the '+' syntax for property creation altogether. as a
> consequence we'd loose the ability to generate PROPERTY_ADDED events
> from the mk journal. i don't know whether that's a problem for the
> current oak-core implementation.

MicroKernel.getJournal() is currently only used in an "old" indexing
implementation in oak-core. Tom or Alex should be able to provide more
information on how crucial it is to be able to differentiate  between ^
and + there or whether that implementation will go away completely
eventually. Otherwise getJournal() is not used at all. So from my POV it
makes sense to remove the '+' syntax since it tends to confuse people.

 From another angle, since the ^ and + were introduced to be able to
differentiate between a setProperty and an addProperty event for JCR
observation, couldn't we make the same information also available by
providing additional context in the journal (i.e. the previous value of
the property or null if none)?

Michael