From Angela Schreiber <anch...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: The destiny of Oak (Was: [RESULT] [VOTE] Codename for the jr3 implementation effort)
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2012 12:53:47 GMT
hi tommaso

> At the same time I see the community development concern; I'm still quite new here so
I don't have a clear understanding of who is actually working on both Oak and Jackrabbit and
who's working only on one of them, also it may be that this distinction doesn't actually exist
at the moment.

imo there is no future of jackrabbit if we split off the oak-project.
keeping jcr-specific parts in a different project than the core
will just make it hard and it will not make the jackrabbit project
as a separate content repository in apache survive. that's my
impression after having been around in this project quite some time...

> Apart from that, as far as I could understand, there is a goal in Oak to be less strict
with regard to JCR spec compatibility

IMO that's not correct. we want and need to be compliant with the
specification and compatible to other JCR implementations... we
just take the liberty to not implement those optional parts of the
specification that we feel are not needed. they might even be
added later on again... but we don't want to sacrifice our goals
for the sake of completeness.

in other words: it will not be a new reference implementation that
covers everything. that doesn't mean that we will violating the spec.

kind regards
angela