From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The destiny of Oak (Was: [RESULT] [VOTE] Codename for the jr3 implementation effort)
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2012 09:22:52 GMT

On 2.10.12 9:56, Marcel Reutegger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my preference is something like 2), but with the JCR related components
> moved to Jackrabbit. I'd like to see Oak as a hierarchical content repository
> implementation, but not necessarily as a JCR repository. The plugin mechanism
> in Oak was specifically designed for that purpose. Thus Jackrabbit 3 would
> be oak-jcr plus plugins needed to turn a pure Oak repository into a JCR
> repository. On the other hand Oak would mainly consist of the micro kernel
> and oak-core and provide a robust and scalable basis for Jackrabbit 3 but
> also other applications that directly speak to the Oak API.

That's another interesting approach! While I this is very appealing
technically, I'm not sure whether we have the resources to go this way,
although I'd be in favour of it. Maybe we could go 1) initially and fork
of the "core" into its own project later on when this turns out to be
feasible/beneficial.

Michael