From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The destiny of Oak (Was: [RESULT] [VOTE] Codename for the jr3 implementation effort)
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2012 13:10:22 GMT

On 1.10.12 12:36, Alexander Klimetschek wrote:
> On 01.10.2012, at 12:26, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 1) The Oak codebase will become Jackrabbit 3.0 sometime next year
>
>> 2) We spin off the Oak effort to a new Apache project
>
> I think 1) makes more sense given all the innovative work going into Oak.
>
> Keeping Jackrabbit 2.x in maintenance mode seems more feasible than separating Oak and
Jackrabbit and possibly trying yet another approach to improve Jackrabbit. I doubt there are
enough committers who would work on that. If 100% JCR spec compatibility is desired, it probably
makes more sense to put the energy in extending oak-jcr to support that (with compromises
etc.) rather then improving the existing Jackrabbit architecture.

I second that. This would also send a strong signal regarding the
intention of the Oak effort. Furthermore it would reduce the
fragmentation of the community and keep efforts focused.

Technically, since the functionality of Oak is largely based on the core
plugins, we could also identify sets of plugins for specific system
behaviours. So there could be a set of plugins for full JCR compliance
(think JSR 170, 283, 333) and probably other ones for embedded usage,
small scale cluster usage, large scale cluster usage and so on.

Michael