From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: The destiny of Oak (Was: [RESULT] [VOTE] Codename for the jr3 implementation effort)
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2012 11:36:08 GMT
On 01.10.2012, at 12:26, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) The Oak codebase will become Jackrabbit 3.0 sometime next year

> 2) We spin off the Oak effort to a new Apache project

I think 1) makes more sense given all the innovative work going into Oak.

Keeping Jackrabbit 2.x in maintenance mode seems more feasible than separating Oak and Jackrabbit
and possibly trying yet another approach to improve Jackrabbit. I doubt there are enough committers
who would work on that. If 100% JCR spec compatibility is desired, it probably makes more
sense to put the energy in extending oak-jcr to support that (with compromises etc.) rather
then improving the existing Jackrabbit architecture.

Just my 2 cents,
Alex