From Tommaso Teofili <teof...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: The destiny of Oak (Was: [RESULT] [VOTE] Codename for the jr3 implementation effort)
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2012 11:53:20 GMT

On 02/ott/2012, at 10:56, Marcel Reutegger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> my preference is something like 2), but with the JCR related components
> moved to Jackrabbit. I'd like to see Oak as a hierarchical content repository
> implementation, but not necessarily as a JCR repository. The plugin mechanism
> in Oak was specifically designed for that purpose. Thus Jackrabbit 3 would
> be oak-jcr plus plugins needed to turn a pure Oak repository into a JCR
> repository. On the other hand Oak would mainly consist of the micro kernel
> and oak-core and provide a robust and scalable basis for Jackrabbit 3 but
> also other applications that directly speak to the Oak API.

I personally prefer this approach rather than option 1.
At the same time I see the community development concern; I'm still quite new here so I don't
have a clear understanding of who is actually working on both Oak and Jackrabbit and who's
working only on one of them, also it may be that this distinction doesn't actually exist at
the moment.
Apart from that, as far as I could understand, there is a goal in Oak to be less strict with
regard to JCR spec compatibility which, in my opinion, makes a possibly important point of
distinction.
If this understanding is correct then I think it'd make sense to have separate projects.
Just my 2 cents,
Regards,
Tommaso