From Thomas Mueller <muel...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: On custom index configuration
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 15:30:47 GMT

>First of all I think there shouldn't be just one single place in the
>repository where all index configuration should go.

Hm, how would the query engine detect what indexes are available? I think
keeping the index configuration at one place is the most simple solution,
and I don't currently understand what problems that could cause... If it
does cause problems, maybe index config could be stored in two places
(near the data, and additionally at a central place) but I'm not sure.

>Instead I'd allow a custom indexes to be defined by adding something
>like an oak:indexed mixin type and an associated oak:indexes child
>node to any node in the repository.

In order to find out what indexes exist, the query engine would have to
run a query? I would say, that's a bit problematic.

>For example, the following
>code would define an additional jcr:created property index under

I think we should define a utility to manage indexes, on top of the JCR

>Creating such an index node would trigger automatic indexing of the

I agree that index configuration should be normal nodes, and that adding
such nodes should create the index.

>either directly in a commit hook or as a delayed background
>processing job.

Yes. Sometimes it's also a good idea to wait creating the index, so that
if a second index is added, the content only has to be traversed once (and
not once for every index).

View raw message