From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Going beyond path-based access in MK (Was: Mongo property limit)
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2012 12:23:04 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Mete Atamel <matamel@adobe.com> wrote:
> In MongoMK, we have a "path" property which stores the full path of a
> node.

This actually raises a bigger question about the MicroKernel design.
Currently all content access through the MicroKernel is keyed by the
revision and full path of the node being accessed.

In practice this means that the MicroKernel needs to do a
revision/path lookup for each access, which for example in this case
means that the node records in the MongoMK need to store the full path
of the node.

However, when accessing a node, Oak will follow the path and access
all the ancestor nodes first (in practice they're already cached) and
thus we may well have additional information that the MicroKernel
implementation could use for accessing a node.

For example, in MongoMK, instead of storing just a set of child node
names in a parent node and then do an index lookup based on the
combined path of a child, an alternative could be to store a name ->
oid map in the parent node and thus be able to directly lookup a child
node based on its object id.

Would it make sense to consider adjusting the MicroKernel interface to
allow such optimizations?

BR,

Jukka Zitting