From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: On custom index configuration
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 12:00:45 GMT
On 18.09.2012, at 17:14, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:

> First of all I think there shouldn't be just one single place in the
> repository where all index configuration should go. It would be nice
> if users and applications could define custom indexes on areas they
> have write access to, and having to grant them access to some shared
> location for that might be troublesome.

+1

>From a content modeling perspective, forcing all indexes in a central location is very
restricting and not modular. Also, maybe you want less priviliged users/groups configure an
index, which might not have access to that central config node.

BTW, how is security currently handled? Who can create an index config? Is indexing done using
the admin session?

> Index configuration would be stored as normal
> content, and the index content in a hidden :index subtree or elsewhere
> depending on the type of the index.

If it's hidden, would it be possible to access and copy that :index node (in a jcr dump/packaging
mechanism) over to another instance in order to avoid reindexing?

> When executing a query, the search engine in Oak would then detect all
> indexes along the main path axis of a given query. For example, when
> querying for content inside /data/foo, the search engine would use the
> indexes at / and /data, but not the ones at /articles.

Kewl :-)

Cheers,
Alex