From Lukas Kahwe Smith <...@pooteeweet.org>
Subject Re: On custom index configuration
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2012 12:48:45 GMT

On Sep 20, 2012, at 2:45 PM, Tommaso Teofili <teofili@adobe.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On 19/set/2012, at 22:47, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just wanted to bring up how this all relates to custom index solutions (like Solr/ES).
Isnt there a risk that by making it possible to attach such configuration to nodes, that it
would encourage applications that make it close to impossible to switch to Solr/ES to benefit
from their features (especially improved scalability in clustered setups)?

> Why do you think so? Actually I'm working on such an integration (w/ Solr) and it doesn't
sound that bad, on the contrary, as far as I understand Jukka's proposal, it should be easier
as you could add something like:

>     /path/to/somewhere [jcr:mixinTypes = oak:indexed]
>           /oak:indexes
>               /solr [jcr:primaryType = oak:solrIndex, oak:nodeType = nt:file, url = ...]
>                   /:index { invisible index content }
>
> along with a CommitHook and a QueryIndex specific implementations.

it just seemed to me like it would encourage a proliferation of very specialized handlers
which bind the content to the specific indexer.
i think it would be ideal if in most cases switching the internal lucene solution for Solr/ES
should work without having to touch anything beyond a few configs (which can of course be
stored inside the repo). The example you are showing above seems to go into the opposite direction.

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
mls@pooteeweet.org