From Marcel Reutegger <mreut...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: process boundaries
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2012 12:48:14 GMT
hi,

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Marcel Reutegger
> <mreutegg@adobe.com> wrote:
> > so, the question I have is basically about oak-core. is it
> > intended and designed to run in multiple processes and
> > access a single MicroKernel instance? that way an application
> > running in multiple processes would embed an oak-core,
> > which talks to the MicroKernen. Or is it rather intended
> > that oak-core runs in a single process and all clients
> > connect to that single instance?
>
> IIRC the latter should be the standard client/server deployment.

OK, that was also my impression when I looked through the
code. though, that also means a big piece is missing, right?
currently there's no remoting of the oak-api available.

> applications use the JCR API to access the repository.
>
> the JCR API is exposed by oak-jcr. oak-jcr implements
> the JCR transient space and talks to oak-core for read/write
> and workspace operations (ns reg, node type reg, access control,
> versioning, query etc).
>
> the obvious process boundaries are
>
> 1) between oak-jcr and oak-core (remoting of the oak-core API)
> 2) beween oak-core and oak-mk (remoting of the MicroKernel API)
>
> there's a related jira issue, see [1].

thanks for the link. this actually talks about a concern I share.
depending on where an API is remoted, we have to make sure
communication through that API is minimized to keep the number
of messages low.

regards
 marcel