From Marcel Reutegger <mreut...@adobe.com>
Subject process boundaries
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2012 10:33:18 GMT
hi all,

while looking through the oak code and also in light of the
recent MongoDB based MicroKernel, I was wondering where
the process boundaries are. right now with the maven build
everything runs in the same process, which is one possible
deployment option. I guess as soon as we have some
alternative MicroKernel implementation that scales well, we
will probably also think about scaling the application on top
of oak. the most obvious solution is to just run the application
multiple times in separate processes and they all connect
to the oak repository.

there's existing information on that topic, like the stack
with the different layers [0], however it doesn't talk about
where the process boundaries are and where we'd need
a protocol (except for the top level protocols to access
the content through JCR or the Oak API directly).

so, the question I have is basically about oak-core. is it
intended and designed to run in multiple processes and
access a single MicroKernel instance? that way an application
running in multiple processes would embed an oak-core,
which talks to the MicroKernen. Or is it rather intended
that oak-core runs in a single process and all clients
connect to that single instance?

regards
 marcel

[0] http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/OakComponentStructure