From Alexander Klimetschek <aklim...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Internal content in Oak
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2012 18:59:00 GMT
On 18.07.2012, at 16:17, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> In fact, the more I think of the specific case of the proposed
> ":childOrder" property and orderability of nodes, the more it seems
> that you are right - it is better to hide these details below the Oak
> API and explicitly extend the API with an orderBefore() method like
> the one in JCR.

FWIW: It would be nice to have a layer in oak that can be used for backups (or "batch export/imports",
like SQL dumps) that contains all data and can be reimported without any (high-level) validation.
In JCR/Jackrabbit so far this wasn't possible, e.g. versions could not be re-imported as those
protected items could not be written via the JCR API without any validation (and there was
no other API in Jackrabbit to do such a thing, except on the level of persistence manager
implementation).

":childOrder" sounds like a similar internal or protected property. Having to call an orderBefore()
instead of "just" importing a simple tree structure of (ordered) properties makes things more
difficult for a backup approach.

Regardless what API layer it will be, but IMHO there should be one by design that would allow
such batch imports.

Cheers,
Alex