From Thomas Mueller <muel...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Notes from the Oakathon
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2012 11:24:53 GMT
Hi,

>>I'm not sure what you mean here. I don't see Sling having it's own index
>> *mechanism*. Probably Sling will need specific indexes, but that's just
>> configuration, and not implementation (code)...
>
>Being able to integrate totally different indexing mechanisms can be
>useful if Oak can provide such extension points. For example to
>integrate different types of indexing systems (Solr, Stanbol,
>image/media indexing) so as to be able to query them with the same API
>that's used for the native repository indexes.
>
>Such indexes can of course be integrated in higher layers, but if the
>Oak design allows them that would be useful.

Yes, the plan is to support additional index mechanisms using a plugin
mechanism. I know there is a person working on Solr support, and we plan
to support Lucene and Tika (to extract text and metadata) as well. We
might want to support 'native' MongoDb indexes at some point (if the data
is stored in MongoDb).

Just I didn't think / know that Sling *itself* would have its own index
mechanism.

Regards,
Thomas