From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Internal content in Oak
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2012 09:09:46 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Stefan Guggisberg
<stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com> wrote:
> implementing the transient space in Oak-Core is
> legitimate, although premature optimization for
> the specific use case where the entire stack
> (jcr-...-mk) runs in the same vm.

To clarify, the decision to write changes from oak-jcr directly to
oak-core was not driven by performance ("premature optimization") but
rather by the need a) to in any case have those changes in oak-core
for validation, etc. and c) to support large content imports that
wouldn't necessarily fit into memory. We also wanted to avoid having
to write essentially the same code twice for oak-core and oak-jcr. The
performance benefit of reduced amount of internal copying and memory
overhead is just a nice side-effect of the design.

See the mentioned list archives of March/April for more background,
with [1], [2] and [3] being good starting points.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/uficvjx35cxy5h4i
[2] http://markmail.org/message/panl3wxfekvmcfyw
[3] http://markmail.org/message/m7linbldpirjz2bn

BR,