From Stefan Guggisberg <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Internal content in Oak
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2012 09:26:43 GMT
On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Stefan Guggisberg
> <stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com> wrote:
>> implementing the transient space in Oak-Core is
>> legitimate, although premature optimization for
>> the specific use case where the entire stack
>> (jcr-...-mk) runs in the same vm.
>
> To clarify, the decision to write changes from oak-jcr directly to
> oak-core was not driven by performance ("premature optimization") but
> rather by the need a) to in any case have those changes in oak-core
> for validation, etc. and c) to support large content imports that
> wouldn't necessarily fit into memory. We also wanted to avoid having
> to write essentially the same code twice for oak-core and oak-jcr. The
> performance benefit of reduced amount of internal copying and memory
> overhead is just a nice side-effect of the design.

a) in scenarios where the Oak-API is remoted we'll have to buffer transient
changes on the client and batch-write them to the 'server' (Oak-API impl).
handling the transient space exclusively below the Oak-API is IMO not
an option for this use case.

c) (or rather b) ?) large content imports should IMO be done through
javax.jcr.Workspace#import. there's an equivalent functionality in
the old SPI and it should IMO be exposed in Oak-API as well.

cheers
stefan