From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Notes from the Oakathon
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2012 07:53:33 GMT
Hi Jukka,

Am 04.07.2012 um 17:43 schrieb Jukka Zitting:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Stefan Guggisberg
> <stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Michael Dürig <mduerig@apache.org> wrote:
>>> - HTTP bindings (OAK-103, OAK-104)
>>>  * Provide extension points for Sling to hook into. (See also the
>>
>> i don't remember any discussions that sling should be using
>> an alternative interface to access the repository. IMO
>> sling should only use the jcr api.

Absolutely.

In my not so humble opinion, Sling must stick to the JCR API and not fuzz with any Oak API
and therefore not with any Oak HTTP binding.

> It came up as a potential option that Sling might be interested in.

I already said before, that Sling should not do it and is not currently discussing it.

> For example, many Sling components are currently having a hard time
> with the JCR observation feature, and giving them access to lower
> level features in Oak (or alternatively implementing the relevant
> Sling features directly as an Oak plugin) could simplify things a lot.

JCR Observation on a spec level has issues which have to be fixed on a spec level. Jackrabbit
observation implementation has other issues, which habe to be fixed in the Jackrabbit implementation.

Neither of both issues will ever trigger Sling to bypass the JCR API.

> Another potential Sling extension would be a custom Oak index provider
> for optimizing the kinds of queries Sling uses.

This has nothing to do with the Http binding.

If Sling would do such a thing, Sling would hook into the regular Oak API.