From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Updated Oak roadmap
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2012 11:43:15 GMT
Hi,

We missed pushing the 0.3 release out a month ago, but let's fix that
by cutting the release instead of 0.4 now at the turn of the month.

And since we're reaching the end of the initial roadmap [1] we drafted
in February, I think it's a good idea to now review where we are and
outline some targets for the next few months.

First a quick review of the originally outlined release milestones:

* 0.1 - March 2012 - ALL DONE
* 0.2 - April 2012 - PARTIALLY DONE, STILL MISSING:
  * Basic in-cloud persistence
  * Runnable jar with "join cluster" functionality
  * Integration tests to verify the above
* 0.3 (wasn't released) - May 2012 - ALL DONE
* 0.4 (to be released as 0.3) - June 2012 - PARTIALLY DONE, STILL MISSING:
  * Bindings for jQuery
  * Basic support for access control based on the extension model
  * Basic support for node types based on the extension model
  * Basic support for observation based on the extension model
  * Basic support for locking (if needed/wanted)
  * Integration tests to verify the above
  * Performance benchmark against selected other NoSQL databases
  * Performance tests for clustered deployments
  * Basic scalability tests for simple read and write scenarios

We're making good progress on things like (basic versions of)
observation and locking, so I guess we'll still be able to know a few
of the above items by the end of the month before cutting the next
release. However, a few items like clustered deployments or
nice-to-have features like jQuery bindings need to be postponed to
future releases.

Below are a few initial ideas of what we should focus on going forward.

* July 2012 (0.4)
  - Increased coverage of core JCR functionality (node types,
observation, security, etc.)
  - Finish the JAAS authentication work
  - Full text search based on Lucene
  - Integration with Apache Sling
* August 2012 (0.5)
  - ACL-based access control
  - XML and other batch import features
  - Versioning, workspaces, etc.
* September 2012 (0.6)
  - Scalability and performance review
  - Pass the TCK test of all the JCR features we want to support (i.e.
JCR compliance)

These are just from the top of my head for now as a discussion
starter. Feel free to disagree with the timing and suggest changes.
The main purpose here is to get a shared understanding of what are the
key areas to work on in the next few months instead of setting hard
deadlines.

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/7dhxklytr2xaoe24

BR,

Jukka Zitting