From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Observation design (Was: svn commit: r1351414 - in /jackrabbit/oak/trunk/oak-core/src/main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/oak: api/ChangeSet.java api/ContentSession.java core/ContentSessionImpl.java)
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2012 12:30:23 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 4:56 AM, Thomas Mueller <mueller@adobe.com> wrote:
> So it seems a MongoDB MicroKernel could support such a feature. Whether or
> not this feature is needed (Jackrabbit 2.x doesn't have it) and whether
> this needs to be in the MicroKernel API is a different question.

Yep. I think it may be difficult for some potential MK backends to
provide the waitForCommit() functionality without polling. Thus it
might be useful for a MicroKernel implementation to rather provide an
(optional?) API for clients to listen to changes with a relaxed
contract that simply offers a "best effort" mechanism for notifying
the client of incoming changes.

A higher level component like JCR-level observation can hook to such
functionality when it's available, but could fall back to polling as
the default implementation and for use cases where immediate
observation is not desirable.

BR,

Jukka Zitting