From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Native HTTP bindings for Oak
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2012 09:25:48 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Lukas Kahwe Smith <mls@pooteeweet.org> wrote:
> here are some infos i send to the JSR-333 list
>
> https://github.com/jackalope/jackalope/wiki/workspace.mirror
>
> the purpose is to allow editors to "draft" changes in a separate workspace, while still
> being able to see what other editors are doing in production.
>
> typo3 uses this approach. slides 14-17 somewhat illustrate the feature:
> http://www.slideshare.net/kfish/typo3-cr-in-phoenix
>
> but the slides do not illustrate how changes in the "live" workspace would become visible
in "user-liga" workspace.

> from a google search I also just found this document:
> http://www-typo3.cs.ucl.ac.uk/help/typo3/working_in_a_draft_workspace/

Thanks for the pointers! This indeed seems similar to the rebase
operation we currently only execute internally within oak-core. It
sounds like we could expose a similar feature also through the HTTP
binding with something like this:

    $ curl -d rebase=true http://localhost:8080/branch/X

Note however that the branch feature here is mostly meant for
short-term changes (processing of a single HTTP request, or at most a
single user session). Longer term "branches" are probably better
handled with actual JCR-level workspaces with some functional
extensions and thus a bit orthogonal to the HTTP binding (they'd be
exposed over HTTP just like any other content).

BR,

Jukka Zitting