From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: findbugs
Date Wed, 23 May 2012 13:06:34 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2012-05-23 14:55, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>> Do we really need a SNAPSHOT version of the FindBugs plugin, or is the
>> latest release good enough?
>
> That's what <http://mojo.codehaus.org/findbugs-maven-plugin/usage.html>
> suggested. I can use the latest stable release instead if that's
> preferrable.

Yes, let's switch to a release. The SNAPSHOT on the plugin web site is
probably just coming from the fact that they generated the site from
the latest trunk checkout.

>> Did you already figure out a way for us to integrate FindBugs checks
>> to to the test phase of the build so we could fail the build if
>> explicitly enabled FindBugs checks fail?
>
> I haven't looked at this yet, and I'm a bit worried that this would open a
> can of worms with respect to coding style. There will always be a few false
> positives, and we would need a way to keep track of them.

Yeah, we definitely don't want a generic FindBugs check causing build
failures, the false-positive rate is way too high.

What I was thinking instead is selectively enabling only those checks
that we agree are useful and don't require too much tracking of false
positives. For example once all the @CheckForNull cases are covered,
we could enable that specific check for the build so that nobody
accidentally breaks that rule again down the line.

BR,

Jukka Zitting