From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: generating identifiers
Date Fri, 25 May 2012 14:54:05 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> For OAK, we need to decide how to generate identifiers for nodes that aren't
> referenceable.
>
> In Jackrabbit, we simply assign UUIDs to every node, referenceable or not.
>
> My assumption was that we don't want that here, right?

I'd say so, right.

> The obvious alternative is to use the identifier of the closest
> referenceable ancestor, and combine it with a relative path. That would make
> the identifier stable across certain move/rename operations.

Yes.

> If we want to do this, we'll need to walk the tree up, and consider what it
> would mean for a parent node not to be readable.

Both for this and for the tree traversal case I think it would be
useful if we could distinguish between a node being "readable" and
"traversable", a bit like how the execute bit on directories works on
unix platforms. A non-readable node could still allow a subtree to be
accessed with proper access controls, but a non-traversable node would
in effect deny read access to the entire subtree for the affected
users.

BR,

Jukka Zitting