From Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: generating identifiers
Date Sat, 26 May 2012 09:25:37 GMT
On 2012-05-25 16:54, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Julian Reschke<julian.reschke@gmx.de>  wrote:
>> For OAK, we need to decide how to generate identifiers for nodes that aren't
>> referenceable.
>>
>> In Jackrabbit, we simply assign UUIDs to every node, referenceable or not.
>>
>> My assumption was that we don't want that here, right?
>
> I'd say so, right.
>
>> The obvious alternative is to use the identifier of the closest
>> referenceable ancestor, and combine it with a relative path. That would make
>> the identifier stable across certain move/rename operations.
>
> Yes.
>
>> If we want to do this, we'll need to walk the tree up, and consider what it
>> would mean for a parent node not to be readable.
>
> Both for this and for the tree traversal case I think it would be
> useful if we could distinguish between a node being "readable" and
> "traversable", a bit like how the execute bit on directories works on
> unix platforms. A non-readable node could still allow a subtree to be
> accessed with proper access controls, but a non-traversable node would
> in effect deny read access to the entire subtree for the affected
> users.

For the purpose of generating identifiers, all ancestors up to the next
referenceable node need to be traversable, und that node's jcr:uuid
needs to be readable (otherwise we can't compute consistent identifiers).

Maybe we should consider pushing down identifier generation and lookup
one level deeper?