From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Write performance for large child node lists
Date Mon, 21 May 2012 22:00:57 GMT

Hi,

During my work on OAK-102 and OAK-106 I was eventually convinced by
Jukka to switch from using a change log to accumulate transient changes
to an approach where the change log is calculated from the resulting
states instead. Now this seems to bite already. Witing large child node
lists seems to be trouble some wrt. performance: since the comparison
needs to iterate over ever more child nodes, writing child nodes does
not scale in constant time any more but rather in time linear to the
total number of child nodes. That is, adding the n-th node takes approx.
n times as long than adding the first node did.

Michael