From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Re: nullability annotations - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-37
Date Mon, 21 May 2012 10:07:04 GMT

On 18.5.12 18:25, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2012-05-18 13:58, Michael Dürig wrote:
>>
>> Hi Julian,
>>
>> Thanks for setting this up. I think this is of great value and we should
>> take these warning very serious.
>>
>> In case anyone wonders how to integrate this with IntelliJ: just enable
>> the inspection called "Constants, conditions & exceptions". Took me a
>> while to figure this out.
>>
>> Michael
>
> Thanks for that.
>
> Here's an example of the problems we need to take care of --
> PropertyDelegate has:

[...]
> So getParentTree() calls resolve(), which in turn can return with parent
> == null.
>
> Yet, remove() assumes the return value of getParentTree is never null.

Yes I know. This is a result of the Oak API and internals being in flux
for quite some time and also the discussion about how/whether to use
exceptions to report error conditions. Having the nullability
annotations in place will be a great help to clean this up. I plan to
look at this as soon as I'm done with OAK-100 and OAK-102 and related stuff.

Michael