From Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Exception handling in oak-core
Date Thu, 03 May 2012 12:43:03 GMT
On 2012-05-03 14:26, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I wouldn't want to catch RuntimeException. I'd prefer if oak-core would
>> only throw OakException (extends RuntimeException), as suggested by
>> Michael Dürig.
>
> +1
>
>> I also think it would be good if these Oak exceptions could carry
>> sufficient information to generate a JCR exception.
>
> +1
>
>> The mappings that have been suggested by Michael and above would help,
>> but we'd lose correctness in the call stack, right?
>
> Do you mean instead of one simple stack trace you would get two (the
> original one as "Caused by:")? I think that's OK. If it's really a problem
> we could still use Exception.setStackTrace(..), but I don't think that's
> necessary.

If the OakException wraps a RepositoryException, we extract that one and
rethrow it, it will come with an incorrect stack trace, no? So it seems
we need to re-wrap.

It seems we're converging on

- OakException extends RuntimeException

- OakExpception can carry RepositoryException

Should we start with that, and see how this works? (Open a issue for it?)

Best regards, Julian