From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: oak api
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2012 17:56:56 GMT
Hi,

Am 11.04.2012 um 19:49 schrieb Michael Dürig:

> On 11.4.12 18:31, Felix Meschberger wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 11.04.2012 um 12:03 schrieb Michael Dürig:
>>

>>> On 11.4.12 10:15, Felix Meschberger wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
not really concern the state of the node itself but potentially completely unrelated ones.

>>> That'd mean we need to introduce a Branch class on which those methods
>>> lived. Branch instances would then be returned from NodeStore.branch()
>>> and would additionally contain methods for obtaining NodeStateEditor
>>> instances.
>>>
>>> OTHO, those methods are not more out of band than Object.equals(). So in
>>> a way we are idiomatic ;-)
>>
>> How is Object.equals(Object) out of band ? It returns information on equality of
another object with this.

>> NodeStateEditor.move(src, dst) moves a node(state) to another location. This is per-se
urelated to this NodeStateEditor.

> It is not so out of bound after all if you consider that a NodeState
> consists not only of its immediate children but rather of the full
> reflexive transitive closure on child states. The src and dst parameters
> may refer to such states only (see Javadoc) and thus only modify the
> state of this node state alone.

The JavaDoc says "path relative to this" which per-se does not say "below" because a relative
path can also be "../../some/other".

In addition the move and copy methods are the only ones taking "relative path" instead of
just name.

Its just kind of inconsistent.

Regards
Felix

> Michael
>

>> But we could modify the API to actually related to this NodeStateEditor: NodeStateEditor.moveTo(dst)
and NodeStateEditor.copyTo(dst). This in fact also sounds less "side-effecty"