From Thomas Mueller <muel...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Exception handling in oak-core
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2012 10:29:27 GMT
Hi,

>my preference was to just throw the jcr-exceptions where
>ever this was appropriate and unambiguous. for example
>namespaceexception, versionexception, constraintviolation...

I can't comment on NamespaceException, VersionException, and so on.

What I find problematic is, if almost all methods can throw a checked
exception. As an example, let's assume CoreValue.getString() could throw a
RepositoryException (when there is an error converting the value to a
string). If we do that, then we would have to add exception handling to a
*lot* of places. Within iterator implementations, within compareTo
methods, within toString methods,... It would make the code hard to read
and maintain. I find runtime exceptions are the better solution in many
cases. But yes, we should avoid using RuntimeException itself. I used it
quite a lot in the query engine actually, I will find a better way.

Regards,
Thomas