From Thomas Mueller <muel...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: MicroKernel.getInstance
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2012 08:21:47 GMT
Hi,

>the number of
>different Microkernel implementations is definitely low and the current
>way of acquiring them via the MicroKernelFactory seems over engineered.

I don't think this is over engineered. But I think the MicroKernelFactory
class has too much implementation specific code now.

There are use cases that benefit from a mechanism to acquire a MicroKernel
instance in a "not hardcoded" way, for example the IndexWrapper
implementation, and all other wrapper implementations. But it would also
help for testing and so on.

>I suggest to remove the MicroKernelFactory and use standard constructor
>calls as you proposed for now.

That would break quite a lot of existing code and use cases.

> Further down the line we should probably
>rethink the issue of modularisation, dependency injection and
>configuration within a broader scope anyway which might make this issue
>obsolete. See also OAK-17.

Yes we can do that, but we should do that before we remove the
MicroKernelFactory.

Regards,
Thomas