From Thomas Mueller <muel...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: oak-api and move operations
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2012 10:26:43 GMT
Hi,

>This is exactly the same operation as two MicroKernel cluster nodes
>will need to perform when syncing concurrent commits.

Yes, only that synching concurrent commits can be implemented on a higher
layer (above indexing). So it's not quite the same.

>AFAICT it should be possible to do this without knowledge of higher
>level semantics

I personally don't think that's the case.

>as long as possible merge conflicts are recorded and
>left to higher level components to resolve as they see fit.

That would complicate things quite a bit.

>this is something that we in any case need to do for
>clustering, so I don't see the explicit merge() method adding any
>extra work for us.

I would like to wait until we have a clearer picture how clustering is
implemented.

>>Also, some MicroKernel implementations (for example a MongoDB
>> MicroKernel implementation) might not be able to support branching
>> and merging.
>
>They need to if they're going to support concurrent writes on more
>than one cluster node.

It sounds like you already have some particular way to implement a
clustered MongoDB MicroKernel in mind. If yes, could you share your ideas?

Regards,
Thomas