From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: oak-api and move operations
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2012 10:13:21 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Thomas Mueller <mueller@adobe.com> wrote:
> This looks nice, but I'm not sure whether it would work. If merging is the
> responsibility of all MicroKernel implementations, then possibly quite a
> lot of business logic would have to be implemented within each MicroKernel
> implementations (separately).

This is exactly the same operation as two MicroKernel cluster nodes
will need to perform when syncing concurrent commits.

AFAICT it should be possible to do this without knowledge of higher
level semantics as long as possible merge conflicts are recorded and
left to higher level components to resolve as they see fit. Obviously
this is an area that we haven't yet looked at in any level of detail,
so there's probably a lot of work ahead of us on this. But as
mentioned above, this is something that we in any case need to do for
clustering, so I don't see the explicit merge() method adding any
extra work for us.

> Also, some MicroKernel implementations (for example a MongoDB
> MicroKernel implementation) might not be able to support branching
> and merging.

They need to if they're going to support concurrent writes on more
than one cluster node.

BR,

Jukka Zitting