From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lifetime of revision identifiers
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2012 17:28:01 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 6:34 PM, Stefan Guggisberg
<stefan.guggisberg@gmail.com> wrote:
> i don't think that we should allow clients to explicitly extend the life span
> of a specific revision. this would IMO unnecessarily complicate the GC
> logic and it would allow misbehaved clients to compromise the stability
> of the mk.

This would notably complicate things in oak-core and higher up. Any
large batch operations would have to worry about the underlying
revisions becoming unavailable unless they are continuously updated to
the latest head revision.

I don't think allowing lease extensions would complicate garbage
collection too much. All I'm asking is that the collector should look
at the "last access time" instead of the "create time" of a revision
to determine whether it's still referenceable or not.

BR,

Jukka Zitting