From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Oak API - a top down look
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2012 07:13:09 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 7:47 AM, Michael Dürig <mduerig@apache.org> wrote:
>> - ContentSession.getCurrentContentTree() returns a snapshot of the whole
>> tree. Wouldn't it be useful to be able to get snapshots of just a
>> sub-tree? Like it is currently possible with NodeStore.branch()?

Not sure if there's a strong use case for that. You can achieve the
same thing by acquiring the root and traversing down to the subtree
you want. I'd rather implement such things in a helper class than
burden the API with non-orthogonal methods.

>> - Having a refresh() method on ContentTree is troublesome. What would it
>> refresh if you call it on a sub-tree? That sub-tree only? The underlying
>> implementation would then effectively have to manage a MK revision for
>> each node (i.e. SubTree) of the content tree. Worse, on commit, against
>> which revision would such a tree be committed? In the current
>> implementation the refresh method would go into the Branch class.
>
> The same actually goes for the commit method. I think it is somewhat miss
> placed on ContentTree too. What about introducing a ContentRoot extends
> ContentTree class which contained said methods? An instance of that class
> would then be returned from ContentSession.getCurrentContentTree().

Yep, I was a bit undecided on this point. I'm fine with putting these
operations to ContentSession, for example like this:

    ContentSession session = ...;
    ContentTree tree = ...;
    tree = session.getCurrentContentTree(tree); // preserve changes
from given tree
    tree = session.commit(tree); // commit changes and return new
state of the tree

The main reason I put the methods on ContentTree was to allow
straightforward implementation of Item.refresh() and Item.save() in
JCR, but I'm not sure if we even want to fully support those features
at the Oak API level.

BR,

Jukka Zitting