From Dominique Pfister <dpfis...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Lifetime of revision identifiers
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2012 12:31:02 GMT
On 3.4.12 13:36, Michael Dürig wrote:

> 10 minutes (like any value) seems quite arbitrary to me. I wouldn't want to fix deployments
by fiddling around with this. Rather should clients be empowered to specify how long they
need a certain revision (e.g. by a lease model as Jukka proposed).

> If a deployment runs out of space because the client application holds on to too many
revisions for too long, this can be fixed by optimising the client and adjusting the store
size to the actual client's requirements.

I don't like the idea in general, that a server compontent relies on clients to behave "well"
or things will break. As you said, we don't have any conclusive figures yet, how fast things
will grow in the revision store. It is just my gut feeling, that keeping revisions around
as long as they're accessed, will generate other problems if we don't have a hard limit on
a revision's overall lifetime.

Dominique