From Angela Schreiber <anch...@adobe.com>
Subject Consolidate oak Utilities
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2012 10:08:06 GMT
hi all

yesterday i came across the oak-core/Paths utility and found
out that it just delegates calls to the mk/PathUtils.

having a closer look i got the impression that we have quite
some very similar or identical utilities in the various
modules. this looks a bit troublesome to me and i would
like to clean this up.

currently i can think of the following approaches:

a) create oak-commons module and move the various utilities
    used in multiple projects there... including merging
    redundant/duplicate/very-similar code.
    benefit: oak specific commons module which is small and
    doesn't contain stuff that we don't need.
    drawback: yet another module.

b) move the utilities to jcr-commons. since we use jcr
    standard form in all oak layers this would allow even
    a broader audience to take advantage of those utilities.
    benefit: no extra oak-commons module
    drawback: dependency to all the other stuff in jcr-commons
    that e.g. in the mk project isn't needed.

which one would you prefer?

kind regards
angela